Wednesday morning I awoke still feverish and with a worsening cough from deep within my chest. Realizing that rest and plenty of fluids were proving insufficient to overcome this illness, I went to Bangkok Hospital to see a doctor.
Two hours, a chest x-ray, and a battery of blood work later, the doctor said that there looked to be a small infection in my left lung and that while she didn’t think it was pneumonia it would be best if I checked into the hospital right there and then so they could start an IV antibiotic.
I explained that right there and then wasn’t going to work. For one thing, I had Tawn’s car with me, which he would need. For another, I didn’t have my computer or any reading material with me and at the very least I would need to let my manager know that I was going to be out for a few days. She didn’t seem to keen on that idea but she finally relented and gave me an oral antibiotic and instructions to return Thursday morning to check on the progress.
As she only prescribed me two pills and they are taken twice a day, I assume her intention is to check me into the hospital Thursday morning.
I’m not opposed to checking into the hospital if that’s the best course of action. I am concerned, though, that her decision may be based both on taking the most aggressive course of treatment as well as a realization that my local insurance provider will pay for inpatient treatment but not outpatient treatment, so they stand to earn more by having me check in.
We’ll see how this plays out, but maybe I’ll be writing some entries soon about my first time staying in a hospital.
On an interesting note, the amount I paid for today’s chest xray, the blood work, prescriptions and doctor’s visit (none of which was covered by insurance since it was outpatient) was only US$57. I think in the US my co-payment would have been higher than that.